Fayose Not Barred From Visiting US- Dept Of State
By Abiodun Oluwarotimi
The US Department of State in Washington, DC yesterday said that it didn’t bar the governor of Ekiti state, Mr. Ayodele Fayose from visiting the country anytime he wishes.
Making this known during an email inquiry by Nigerian Concord, a top official of the Department who prefers not to be mentioned because he has no authorization to release classified information said the report making it round on Social Media that the governor had been barred from entering America should not be regarded.
The official pressed further that the Department would have issued a press statement or sent a letter to the governor if truly he had been barred from entering the United States.
He cited the case of a former Minister of Justice of the Federation, Mr. Mike Aondoakaa, who was barred in 2010 from entering the United States as a result of some financial misappropriation that were traced to him when he was serving as minister.
The official continued that immediately the former Minister for Justice was barred, the Department of State sent out an official statement and as well communicated the decision to him.
Asked whether the United States government is having any issue with the way the Ekiti state governor is attacking some policies of President Mohammadu Buhari, the source simply said the America doesn’t not and will never involve itself in local politics in Nigeria.
It would be recalled that a report came out last weekend that Mr. Ayodele Fayose and his immediate family members were barred from traveling to the United States of America (USA).
Reacting to the report immediately, Special Assistant to the governor on Public Communication and New Media, Mr. Lere Olayinka, said that Fayose had traveled to the US only twice in his life and since he became governor in 2014, he has not had any reason to apply for US visa not to talk of being restricted from traveling to the country.
“It is on record that during the governor’s trial by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), the court ordered that his international passport be deposited with the court. When the passport was released to him in 2009, he applied to the US embassy for the renewal of his visa and the embassy denied him of the renewal on the premise that he was still under trial.
“Governor Fayose won the EFCC case in 2014 and not only that he was discharged and acquitted, N10 million cost was awarded against the EFCC.
“The records in FRN Vs Mr. Ayodele Fayose, Charge. No. FHC,. L.. 179c, 2006 and the ruling discharging and acquiting the governor delivered on October 30, 2014 by Hon. Justice Adamu Hobon are there for anyone to see.
“Contrary to the lies from Sahara Reporters the governor’s sons still have USA visa valid till March 2017 while that of his wife will expire this year. His wife and children travel to the USA regularly and they were in the USA during the last summer. Records of their trips to the US are there for anyone to verify.” Olayinka said in a statement he issued on the report.