Suswam: Ortom claims responsibility for his predecessor’s ordeal as Benue youths sue DSS
Claiming responsibility for the ordeal of his predecessor, Dr. Gabriel Torwua Suswam, who was held by the Department of State Security (DSS) for illegal possession of a gun and pistol three weeks ago, Benue state governor, Mr. Samuel Ortom, has said that he and his benefactor (Suswam) had agreed to cease fire.
This came just as youths in Zone A have threatened to take legal actions against the Benue state government and the DSS for illegally harassing the former governor whom they said had done all he could to make the state a better place more than he met it in May 2007.
Ortom who disclosed this, on Monday, at a stakeholders meeting organized to address the incessant Fulani herdsmen killing in the state, said that he decided to fight Suswam with everything including framing him up with frivolous petitions to the EFCC and DSS when he (Suswam) had gained an upper hand against him.
His words: “This matter wouldn’t have taken long if Suswam had cooperated with me. Suswam’s hands had been up against me and that is why I had continued to bite.
“I want to let you know that Suswam and I have agreed to cease fire after the elders and Ters from MINDA and Sankera called us together to mediate in the matter between us”
Saying that he had reached a truce with his predecessor for a cease fire and toe the line of peace, Ortom who has been accused of being behind the planting of firearms inside two cars which allegedly belong to Suswam stressed that the agreement was reached after a peace meeting called by the elders and Ters of MINDA and Sankera to mediate in the matter.
Apart from this, Ortom had also stormed the Abuja head office of the DSS with more frivolous petitions that linked his predecessor with the notorious militia leader, GANA.
Noting that he had no more issues with Dr. Suswam, Ortom assured that both of them hoped to sit down together and resolve their matter amicably even though he expressed displeasure that his predecessor had to travel abroad shortly after the peace meeting for medical attention.
He said: “I have no more issues with Suswam since that day. It’s unfortunate that he was traveling for medical attention and we have agreed to sit together when he comes back and iron things out. Suswam and I don’t have any issue again.”
Meanwhile, the youths across seven local government areas of Zone A in Benue state have said that they had been pushed to the war by leaders of the ruling All progressives Congress (APC) in the state for their tenacity to frustrate their own son who is the immediate past governor of Benue state Rt.Hon Gabriel Torwua Suswam PhD, CON.
The youths expressed their anger over plans by the Ortom-led APC government to ridicule Suswam despite his hard earned reputation which has always been a hope for the common man.
They added that since the taking over of power by Ortom and his people, their aim in government is to ensure that Dr. Suswam is convicted and jailed even when they are aware that he has not been found guilty of any crime. The youths also said that nailing Suswam unjustly is at the detriment of the people of Benue.
The youths who are worried over the menace that the Fulani herdsmen are causing in the state also tagged Ortom’s incompetence as the cause for all the killings in the state.
They also faulted the failed amnesty programme as the reason why the Fulani herdsmen see Benue people as empty vessels that could be attacked at will.
However, the Zone A youths said they are dragging the DSS to court for their illegal engagement with Suswam and subsequent detention and unlawful elongated political victimization.
They also threatened to drag the Benue state government to court for stoppage of payment of salaries to over 3000 civil servants from Zone A who are diligently discharging their duties even in the face of their recognition as ghost workers.