Governor Ortom’s speech at the swearing-in of 23 Advisers and inauguration of SUBEB chairman/members
You are all warmly welcome to the two important events where you have just witnessed the swearing-in of twenty three (23) new Special Advisers as well as the inauguration of the Chairman and members of the Benue State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB). These appointees will be helping me to steer the affairs of the State in our new mandate of four years that started on 29th May this year.
2. I wish to congratulate the Special Advisers as they join the other four Special Advisers that were appointed in June this year. They have been carefully selected because of their qualities to ensure fair play, equity and justice. Also, their choice is an indication that this Administration has faith in them to deliver quality service. The 23 new Special Advisers are:
Adanu Simeon Sule – Agatu
Barr. Jacob G. O. Ogwuche – Okpokwu
James Abel Uloko – Ogbadibo
Onah Blessed Emmanuel – Oju
Enyi Joseph Ode – Oju
Augustine Awodi – Otukpo
Ageh Odeh John – Obi
Tarkaa Joyce Vandefan – Tarka
Emmanuel Manger – Tarka
Abraham Akura Abam – Gboko
Ortese Gbegi Edward – Gboko
Nyityo Tivkaa – Buruku
Godwin Msuega Donko – Makurdi
Matthew Mnyam – Guma
Hon. Tyochir B. Stephen – Gwer East
Hon. Bem Dzoho – Kwande
Mtu Isaac Yahemba – Ushongo
Tsenongo Hiam Abancha – Kastina-Ala
Rt. Hon. David Mzenda Iho – Kastina-Ala
Saawuan Tarnongo – Konshisha
Shima Ayati – Ukum
Ndiisaa Terhemen – Logo
Ngunan Agera – Vandeikya
3. I wish to stress that your coming on board is to help us in bringing more gains of democracy closer to the door-steps of our people. We believe that with your wealth of experience, capability and antecedents, you can handle complex and sensitive assignments. Among you are former Legislators, former Special Advisers, former Chairmen of Local Government Councils, former Commissioners and those who held other top political and Government offices in the past at the Local and State Government levels.
4. With such backgrounds, we are hopeful that the new appointees would easily fit into their roles and effectively apply themselves in the service of the State.
5. Distinguished Guests, Ladies and Gentlemen, I wish to also sincerely congratulate the Chairman of SUBEB, Emmanuel Aper and members including Hon. Egli Johnson Ahubi, Mike Terlumun Kusah and James Yakob Ahua. The Board is inaugurated today in furtherance of our desire to improve the quality of teaching and learning environment in our schools especially public Primary Schools. It is important to stress that our desire is for all Benue children of school age to enroll to learn for a brighter future.
6. We expect that the new Board would work together as a team, operate harmoniously with SUBEB Management and see their inauguration as a privilege to serve the State and not to work for their selfish interests. I charge the new Board also to enthrone due process and adhere strictly to financial regulations to avoid the pitfalls of the past. We therefore expect SUBEB to wear a new face that would enable it to reposition primary education in our State.
7. I wish to emphasise that all of you that all appointees are Ambassadors of this Administration and your public and private conduct should be exemplary. It is important to remind you also that the guiding philosophy of our Administration is still anchored on the fear of God and the entrenchment of core values that reflect this commitment. These include: transparency, accountability, justice, fairness, selflessness, humility, discipline, integration, forgiveness and restitution, reconciliation, peace and unity which make development inevitable. I enjoin you to key into them to serve as your guide and keep you focused in serving the good people of Benue.
8. Let me also restate my pledge that the State Government under my watch will not renege on its duties to the people of the State. That is why those sworn-in today and inaugurated are expected to do their best in adding value to our service delivery to the good people of Benue State. You should therefore be prepared to make sacrifices where necessary in order to achieve the desired results.
9. Ladies and gentlemen, Benue State is now facing many challenges that call for prayers and positive action from both leaders and the led. The reality of the situation demands all Benue people to show patriotism, goodwill and understanding with our Administration that is doing its utmost best in the face of daunting challenges.
10. As some of you might be aware, shortage of funds is one of the hindrances to achieving our goals. As a result, we are taking drastic measures to enhance our Internal Revenue generation and also plugging all revenue leakages including the ban on engagement of Revenue Consultants. Similarly, we are in full support of the Benue Internal Revenue Service (BIRS) to go after illegal revenue collectors and disband all illegal revenue road blocks across the State.
11. Finally, I again congratulate the new appointees on your swearing-in as Special Advisers and members of the Benue State Universal Basic Education Board and assure you of our support to enable you succeed in your various assignments. Similarly, I charge members of the Benue State Executive Council and the good people of Benue State to give the new appointees maximum co-operation and support that they need to succeed.
12. Thank you all.
13. In God we trust.